- There is a natural man and there is a spiritual man. Those born again must eat from the food groups of the Gospel in order to grow and mature in Christ. There are three (3) basic food groups for the spiritual soul:
When a soul is born again (receives the gift of the Holy Ghost), they are considered newborn babes and need the spiritual nutrition proper for growth. "As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby:" (1 Peter 2:2). Like a babe on his mother's breast, a new born Christian needs the milk of the word to nourish the soul.
Hebrews 5 reads:
13. For every one that useth milk is unskilful in the word of righteousness: for he is a babe.
The Word of God helps the new believer grow in faith and learn to trust God. He teaches them to walk in the Spirit, (as a child learns to walk). He teaches them to speak the Word, hear the Word, and grow according to righteousness. They learn the difference between right and wrong.
As the believer grows, they learn to trust God to change their inner person into what the Lord desires them to be. This is where the fruits of the Spirit come in. "Bring forth therefore fruits meet for repentance:" (St. Matthew 3:8). The fruit ministry helps a believer grow as a person of God.
Their insides are changed and all evil and corruptness (lust of the flesh) are purged out of them and they are replaced with fruits of the Spirit. This is considered the "self ministry."
Galatians 5 reads:
22. But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
23. Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
24. And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.
25. If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.
Once the believer has knowledge of good and evil and can walk in the Spirit every day of their life, they are ready to move on to spiritual maturity; the next level of the food group growth.
Meats are for mature believers. "But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil." (Hebrews 5:14).
Once a believer begins the ministry of maturity, they are blessed to understand the deep mysteries of God. These mysteries and revealed truths are hidden in the Word and opened to them who are able to understand the power of God. Their faith has increased and they can see God working every day, not only in their lives, but in the lives of others.
They are leaders and teachers of the Word and gospel of God and are a blessing to other people. They are used by God more often for things pertaining to the Kingdom.
1 Corinthians 3 reads:
1. And I, brethren, could not speak unto you as unto spiritual, but as unto carnal, even as unto babes in Christ.
2. I have fed you with milk, and not with meat: for hitherto ye were not able to bear it, neither yet now are ye able.
The walk through the gospel requires eating the correct food groups during the correct times of a believer's walk in Christ. Learn to grow as the Spirit teaches and read, pray, and study the Word daily.